Sunday, July 30, 2017

Lala Samosa Wala, East Kalmandapam Road, Royapuram





Walking along the streets of Royapuram the first time, I was counting the seconds until I found a nice snack shop or the other in one of these small lanes. Just when I was losing hope, I cross this small eatery. I was about to ignore it thinking they were the usual street Chaat shop, but I went back to give it a second look. It was a shop that made primarily Samosas! That delicious crispy evening snack that is filled with masala/salted potato mash.




                          Samosas - Flaky and yum.
Owner - busy at work with his son



                                                Somas - snack with a sweet rava filling


A grumpy looking Uncle, presumably the owner was busy frying them up. His son was making kachoris right next to him. That was a nice sight seeing the momo like dough shaped deftly by hand and stuffed with the kachori filling before frying immediately. I noticed they used good oil (Sunflower) from the container below. They also make Paal Kova, a sweet called Somas and some other sweetmeats which weren't prepared yet. 

I got just two Samosas (rs 10 each), one Channa (rs 25) and a Somas (rs 10 each) parcelled. It was only after 90 minutes that I was able to open up the packet in the comfort of home and taste these. But they held up excellently.

The Samosas weren't very oily and tasted very good owing to the good crunchiness and nicely spiced potato innards. The Somas' filling was like a hard rava ladoo and good too. The fact that everything was freshly prepared was easy to taste. Channa curry was also very tasty with some onions chopped and sprinkled. I refrigerated it and ate it for breakfast the next morning! 


1 comment: